[ Information we collect | How we use personal information collected | Storage and security of your personal information | Accessing and correcting your personal information | Use of our website | Privacy statement ]
The Veterinary Professional Insurance Society Incorporated (VPIS) is committed to protecting any personal information entrusted to us. This statement explains how we collect and use information about you.
In using our website, or in applying for a policy or providing us with personal information, you agree to the collection and use of your information in accordance with our privacy statement.
Information we collect
Some examples of personal information we may collect from you are:
- Information such as your name, contact details, date of birth, gender, qualifications and job title;
- Insurance claims history;
- Payment information such as your credit card and bank account number;
- Website information such your IP address and browser type.
We may also collect publically available information, or personal information about you from third parties such as your employer, or our agent, broker or adviser. If you provide personal data about other individuals, such as your employees, you must first obtain their consent, and let them have a copy of this privacy statement.
If you or any person covered by your policy with VPIS provide us with incomplete or inaccurate information we may be unable to assist you with any queries or services, decline your claim, void or cancel your policy as allowed by law.
How we use personal information collected
We will only use and disclose your personal information in accordance with this privacy statement, the Privacy Act 2020, or after notifying you at the time of collection. We may use personal information to:
- Identify you;
- Evaluate and assess your application for a policy and claim(s) under your policies;
- To provide you with relevant risk management advice, educational information and communication to support veterinarians and the profession. We may use the contact details you provide to contact you and your employees with relevant communications;
- Provide on-going client service and information;
- Produce reports and summary data;
- Improve and better understand our business including our website;
- Manage a relationship with you, including contacting you about our products and services;
- Improving our range of products, services and promotions (including assessing trends and customer interests or preferences);
- Managing and monitoring our business risks;
- Recovering any unpaid debts or other monies owing;
- Comply with our legal and regulatory obligations; and
- For any other matter related to any policy taken out by you.
Identifying information about you, will only be collected for a purpose which requires identifying information. While we treat any personal information as confidential, there may be some situations where we disclose information to third parties including to:
- Other persons covered by or administering your policy;
- Trusted service providers for the above purposes and for reporting, summary or statistical purposes;
- Our agents, brokers and advisers;
- A foreign person or entity; and
- Other persons are required or permitted by law.
We may provide you with further information from time to time as to how we collect and use your information.
Storage and security of your personal information
The intended recipient of the information is VPIS and our agent, Gallagher (formerly Crombie Lockwood). That information is held in hard copy and/or electronically at VPIS’s head office at Level 2, 44 Victoria Street, Wellington and/or with Gallagher (formerly Crombie Lockwood) and/or with our trusted data storage providers. Personal information may also be stored in third party storage facilities and in cloud storage located inside and outside New Zealand.
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information, including unique identifiers, that we hold are protected against loss, unauthorised use, unauthorised access, unauthorised modification, unauthorised disclosure, and any other misuse.
We retain your personal information only for as long as it is required for lawful purposes. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information is securely destroyed when we no longer require it. Subject to exceptions under the Privacy Act 2020, we will notify you as soon as practicable if a notifiable privacy breach has occurred.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to the Privacy Act 2020, you, or a representative on your behalf, are entitled to ask us to confirm whether we hold personal information about you or not and you are entitled to have access to that personal information. You are also entitled to ask us to correct any of your personal information if you believe it is inaccurate. You can request a copy of or ask us to correct your personal information by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or VPIS, PO Box 11 212, Wellington 6142. VPIS may impose conditions to access or refuse access to your personal information for reason under the withholding grounds in the Privacy Act 2020.
Specific matters relating to your use of our website
Our website may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. We do not control the linked websites and suggest you review the privacy policies of those websites.
Changes to our Privacy Statement
We may update our privacy statement and recommend that you refer back to the VPIS website for changes.